Friday, August 19, 2011

Ani Difranco Makes Me Want To Die


Seriously.  And that's why I don't listen to her music very often.  I mean, I love her music and her words-- she is a brilliant poet.  But damn...her music hits deep sometimes. 

I went to the gym this morning and had a so-so run and a good lifting circuit.  In my headphones were songs like "Love Save the Empty," "When I'm Alone," "Someone Like you," "Where I stood," "Giving Up," and so on....  

NO FUCKING SHIT I'M FEELING SAD!!!  

I read a kids' essay earlier this summer, in which he said that listening to happy music will make you do good things, and listening to angry music will make you angry.  "It's not that simple" I thought to myself.  Guess what...in a way, it is.  Now, I don't agree with the politicians who say that listening to rap music will make you do drugs and kill people.  I do however think that listening to sad music all the time is a way to subconsciously (or quite obviously) not feel better.
While at the gym today, I thought about what songs I could play that are happy.  Hmph.  On my new iPod nano that I just bought yesterday (I've now gone through 5 total...this is my 6th), I have the following playlists... 

"6.7.2011" -- mostly sad stuff i've been listening to this summer
"Erin McCarley- Love Save the Empty"-- her full album
"Fuck It"-- similar to 6.7.2011 but faster
"Fuck You"  -- and old playlist full of pissed off songs.
"Long Jump Fast"-- some fast stuff, some angry stuff, plus a song i wrote that's super angry
"Long Jump Slow"-- some sad stuff, some calming/soothing stuff
"Meat 2005"-- bday gift for chris, mostly rock
"Meat 2006"-- see above
"Mix Tape- Asha Feb 11"-- Music J sent me via email/gchat
"SI Photo Shoot"-- an upbeat mix I used when doing a photo shoot

I suppose the SI Photo Shoot would have been a good (i.e. my only) option for some positive music.  Seriously, I'm not doing anyone any favors by listening to this sad stuff all the time.  It's a cycle though-- if I'm not feeling super giddy, I'll probably listen to something more akin to how I feel.  And if I listen to sad stuff, I'll probably feel sad.  See the problem in this?

It's going to be a beautiful day today.  I need to get ready to head into work.  A friend and I were talking the other day about the power of music.  I'm often "brought back to a place" when I hear a particular song.  (i.e. "Power of Love" by Luther Vandross reminds me of camping in the backyard at my moms old house-- me and my sister had the cassette tape and played it on repeat till the batteries ran out.  "Hurricane Drunk" by Florence + The Machine reminds me of running in uptown one slushy winter evening this year.  "Little Potato" by Metamora reminds me of when I was a little kid and my mom would request on MPR that they would play it for my birthday). 

Music is a powerful thing.  It can lift us up, it can keep us down, or it can do something in between.

What's on your playlist?

1 comment:

G said...

My playlists have names like 01, 02, and 03 or x. Maybe I have to work on that